Earn your “Marathon T-Shirt”
Something New Something Different Something Fun for Everyone
Created by Capt’n Blew Bayou Bob Miller: SSS Race Captain
This series of was created out of a similar program used by the Venice Sailing Club. Since they do not have marks out in the Gulf of Mexico, they use GPS waypoints to serve as “virtual” turning points for many of their races. The “Virtual” part of this series is that you pick the time and date you wish to race each marathon event and you are on your own time table.
Here is the plan!!!! This series of races will closely match the various Marathon distances used by many runners. The good news is that you will be using your vessel to do most of the work as you will be sailing various courses in the Bay.
Guidelines for the SSS Marathon Series
- All participants are to complete a minimum distance of 26.2 miles, in any combination of the following:
- Date range: April 1st- June 30th. The last day to submit entries is July 4th, 2011.
- Courses: All starts and finishes will be at IC-13. Start within two boat lengths of the mark with your vessel passing marker IC-13 on your starboard side. Finish within two boat lengths of IC-13 with IC-13 on your port side. All marks to starboard unless otherwise noted.
- Entry Form: Please complete the Marathon Entry Form and return to the SSS office or FAX it to 941 338-5524.
- Skippers who do NOT have a current WFPHRF rating are welcome to participate. A SSS Local PHRF rating will be assigned by the measurer based on similar boat information available.
- All marathon events that you want to qualify may be sailed on any day or days.
We are looking for input that would make this type of sailing activity even more enjoyable and also become a way to encourage the many SSS members who might like to try out their GPS and navigation skills.
Please contact Bob Miller 941 773-9353 or H- 941 795-4646 if you have any questions regarding this SSS Marathon Series event.